The 2019 Rally New Zealand Co-Drivers Academy is returning to Auckland from 5 – 7 April 2019. The academy, which is aimed at developing Kiwi co-driving talent, will take on six co-drivers and with a total of 18 applicants in 2018, the six spots will again be in high demand. “Last year we had a very rigorous selection process, as we had such a great number of talented co-drivers apply for the course. We were really impressed by the quality of the applicants and are looking forward to receiving applications for 2019” said Paul Mallard, Rally of New Zealand Chairman.
Rally New Zealand is committed to the sport and to supporting the development of co-drivers and drivers to enrich the NZRC and supporting classes. “We have seen a real change in the NZRC in recent times, with a large number of quality teams all aiming to improve their performance. The co-drivers Academy is a way of helping these competitors to reach their goals” Paul said.
Rally New Zealand have for the third year enlisted top professional co-drivers Alex and Rhianon Gelsomino as tutors for the three-day academy. 2018 RNZ Co-Drivers Academy graduate Katrina Renshaw said “Alex and Rhianon were both incredible teachers and I can’t thank them enough for going out of their way to answer all of my questions and ensure I understood everything. I absolutely loved this academy!”
Past graduates have seen a raft of improvements in their performances and co-driving careers, with many finding rides with top NZRC drivers after completing the course, including Mal Peden co-driving for Hayden Paddon in 2018. 2017 graduate Karl Celeste says that the course has opened doors and his eyes to what is genuinely achievable. Fellow graduate Sarah Brennan echoes Karl’s sentiments “Rally New Zealand has provided opportunities to us up and coming New Zealand Co-Drivers that we cannot thank them enough for”.
- Applications are now open and will close on Monday 4 February 2019 at 5pm.
- Applicants must currently be competing in the NZ Rally Championship (or entered and planning to compete in 2019) and have experience with safety/pace notes
- At the discretion of the Board, applicants outside of the NZRC, considered to have NZRC potential may be considered
- The selection decision is at the sole discretion of the selection committee and Board of Rally New Zealand and their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Applicants must send a CV of their current co-driving experience along with a covering letter detailing their future goals and why they should be considered for the Academy in PDF format via email to “The Rally New Zealand Co-Drivers Academy” firstname.lastname@example.org
- The course cost is heavily subsidised by Rally New Zealand. A cost per successful applicant of $450 applies. This cost includes airport transfers in Auckland, accommodation for April 4, 5, 6, and meals during the course, all travel costs to Auckland are the responsibility of the successful applicants.
- The successful applicants will be notified in mid-February
For more information, contact email@example.com